If you choose to, you can designate your donation to support one of HAT's programs. If you do not designate your donation, then HAT's Board of Directors will determine what area has the greatest need. Either way, your donation will make a tangible difference for nature.
1. General - Where Most Needed - HAT will designate your donation where we are in most need of funding at the time of your donation.
2. Habitat Management and Restoration - HAT will designate your donation towards managing and restoring habitat on HAT protected lands
3. Habitat Stewardship - HAT will designate your donation to our stewardship and education projects throughout the year. By donating here, you will help programs like
◦ Good Neighbours Project: Each summer HAT helps create a community of sustainable neighbours in our region through free landcare consultations with a HAT biologist
◦ Focus Species: HAT's focus species are all considered Species at Risk on Vancouver Island and include Bats, Western Screech-owls, Western Painted Turtles, Blue-grey Taildropper Slugs, Sharp-tailed Snakes, and Amphibians
4. Land Protection - By donating to this fund you are making a difference by helping protect important habitats forever through Land Acquisition. Your donation will be used to help monitor our currently protected properties as well as help protect new properties in the future
◦ Become a HABITAT GUARDIAN - help us protect this year's newest property up for a covenant with HAT! Your contribution as a HABITAT GUARDIAN will go directly towards protecting a piece of land of high ecological value for South Vancouver Island or the Southern Gulf Islands. See our Current Campaign page for more information on the property up for a covenant this year.
◦ General - contributes to monitoring HAT protected properties and protecting land on South Vancouver Island through forming covenants and Land Acquisitions
5. HAT Endowment Fund - HAT maintains a permanent fund with The Victoria Foundation, from which we can only withdraw annual dividends. This fund is used for on-going costs associated with land protection (legal fees, surveying costs, appraisals) as well as administrative and office overhead. It is also our emergency fund in case legal action is needed to ensure the ecological integrity of HAT's protected lands.
6. Membership - HAT Members get voting privileges at our AGMs, get invited to our yearly Member's Luncheon, get 10% off at the Goldstream Nature House bookstore, receive a tax receipt for the full value of their membership, and can take pride in knowing they are supporting conservation of habitat on South Vancouver Island and the Southern Gulf Islands. HAT members can contribute a one-time yearly fee or divide their membership over the span of the year through monthly contributions. Monthly donors will receive a tax receipt for their contributions once per year in February and are considered HABITAT HEROES, being entitled to a special newsletter.
7. Youth Education - HAT will designate your donation to initiatives that provide free outdoor learning programs to youth. Our two main programs are:
◦ Goldstream Chums - Each year HAT sends over 5000 students to Goldstream Provincial Park to witness the salmon run up-close. Since this program is no longer funded by the Provincial Government, we rely heavily on donations from individuals and business in the community.
◦ Green Spots - One of HAT's longest running programs is all about education school children about the importance of native species in their region. We offer a FREE program to schools to have native plant garden built on their property by the students themselves.